Monday, February 27, 2012

My future in a zoo

Without a doubt, I can say that my dream job would be working in a Zoo.

At first seeing these beautiful animals in cages saddened me, but I started researching (using the internet). A lot of people do not realize that many species would not exist without zoos, and that they are necessary to conservation (Read On!). I am passionate about animal education, and though my primary goal is to act as doctor and nutritionist, I would like to get involved in public education. This is where social media is incredibly useful. Not only can you use it to spread information, but you can create online petitions, and make events.
There are many animal activist groups today, many of which, seem to me, to be uninformed though great at using social media to spread their beliefs. Many of these groups want to see animals released. Animals that have never been in the wild, or who's only companions are in the zoo. My wish, is that these groups would stop fighting the zoo, and start working with them instead. I believe that we have an obligation to these creatures, who's natural habitats are growing smaller every year because of our actions, to give them the best life possible.







did you know that the Siberian Tiger (the largest cat in the world) is endangered? Their numbers are only 400-500 in the wild. Most Siberians live in zoos

Public education is new to me and I may need to enlist the help of fellow conservationists like Jenna to help me along the way. Social media can help me build this kind of network. I know it won't be easy, but if I can make even a small impact on the lives of these, or even future animals, I will have achieved the greatest success possible. 


-Hannah 






Image citations:
Dusheck, Jennie. A zoo veterinarian examines the San Diego Zoo's female giant panda cub [Digital image]. (1999). retrieved 27 Feb, 2012, from: http://www.biologyreference.com/Ve-Z/Zoology-Researcher.html


Sartore, Joel. Siberian Tiger [Digital image], retrieved 27 Feb, 2012, from: http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/siberian-tiger/

Read more: Zoology Researcher - Biology Encyclopedia - body, animal, different, species, ways http://www.biologyreference.com/Ve-Z/Zoology-Researcher.html#ixzz1sbgn7t9s  



4 comments:

  1. Very interesting post! I am aware that there are many groups that think animals should be freed from zoos and have heard many of their arguments, I was nice to see someone a counter-argument. I think that most people are unaware of the fact that many animals would become extinct if they were not in zoos. It's good to spread the word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post. I've also dabbled into the idea of working as a veterinarian in a zoo. Especially since the Calgary Zoo has recently opened their penguin exhibit as of early spring. I also think that zoo's play an important role in conservation as they instigate many species protection programs. A lot of research is done in ensuring that many animals don't become extinct, but instead conserved. I understand that a lot of people don't exactly agree with the concept of zoos, and I too agree. But I see both the benefits and drawbacks and in my opinion, I think zoos are necessary for conservation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely agree that zoos are not as bad as public media makes them out to be. When I visited the Edmonton Valley Zoo, I was surprised at the things they do to help the animals feel more comfortable. For instance constant modification of the environment for mental stimulation and also the development of a bamboo plant for pandas that can withstand Canadian winters! I believe that zoos are good for animal rehabilitation plans, as you have mentioned, and also for helping to nurse injured animals that would other wise perish in the environment, back to health.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your focus on educating the masses. Through experience i have found that a lot of animal rights groups and animal activists are poorly informed in many of the issues they are fighting. Maybe not every animal care situation is ideal, but there can be a happy medium between animal abuse and releasing captive animals to roam free. It is really great that you want to spread correct information so that the public can be correctly informed of the science behind these issues.

    ReplyDelete